Current Employment Postings:
Associate Artistic Director
The Associate Artistic Director works directly with the Executive Artistic Director to deliver an exciting season of programming. They serve as associate producer for Milagro MainStage espectáculo productions, support Teatro Milagro touring and arts education programming where necessary, and play a lead role in Milagro’s community engagement activities, managing relationships with key community partners and expanding the work of Milagro’s mission.
They will be a key voice in season planning, an ambassador for the organization, both locally and nationally. Additional opportunities are available to direct/perform/design in the season, depending on skill set.
We are looking for someone who leads with authenticity and integrity, and values working collaboratively as part of a tight knit team. While the job is particularly suited for candidates with a producing or directing background, we are open to applications from across the field of theatre and can tailor the position for the right candidate.
Position: Associate Artistic Director
Location: Portland, Oregon
Employment Type: Full-Time
Salary: $40,000 annual + 3 weeks paid time off, health care, and retirement
Reporting Relationship: The Associate Artistic Director (AAD) reports to the Executive Artistic Director (EAD).
Start Date: After July 2022
Procedure for Application:
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and references to: email@example.com, Subject Line: Milagro AAD Search
Key Roles and Responsibilitiess:
Artistic Administration/General Producing
- Participate in Season planning, including reading scripts, and generating ideas for production
- Assist with the creation of annual budget
- Communicate directly with playwrights, literary agents, producers and other theatre peers
- Serve as key artistic support “in the room” for tech rehearsals and previews of MainStage productions
- With the support of staff, manage and maintain artistic digital files
- Support marketing, education, and development activities as appropriate
- Participate in short term and long-term institutional planning
- Assist EAD and Teatro Milagro Artistic Director in developing multi-faceted community engagement programs
- Produce wrap-around programming as appropriate (including post show talk backs, pre-show events, artist conversations etc.)
- Regularly scout local talent by attending productions and auditions
- Serve as point of contact for incoming artists (including directors, musical directors, choreographers etc.) communicating dates and auditions details
Specific roles of the AAD, often in close collaboration with the Executive Artistic Director, include
- Support and articulate a creative vision for the organization that inspires and motivates the Board, artists, staff, volunteers, and all other participants in this theater.
- Support the development and production of the organization’s season so that the level of artistry, meaning, relevance, and the shared creative experience of the work for its audiences becomes even richer and more fulfilling.
- Take an active interest in the overall organizational needs and dynamics, including strategic planning, fundraising and community engagement.
- Serve as a major public face of Milagro, including, but not solely by, taking an active role in high level cultivation and solicitation of donors.
- Provide leadership to a very inclusive working culture in a way that builds trust and encourages independent and creative decisions by the entire professional team.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to set direction, inspire others, and maintain a very strong working culture—such leadership could certainly be demonstrated by holding comparable posts before now, but also through prior project leadership and other means.
- A track record of making high-quality work.
- Creative thinking for leading a Latino-identified theatre company.
- Natural ability to motivate others to participate, support, and advocate for Milagro, including in public representation and in fundraising; prior experience in both will be preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Ideally bilingual in English & Spanish.
- Curiosity about, and preferably a track record in, organizational dynamics—how to enable best practice and results among staff, the members of the Board, and, among the artists.
The ideal candidate will also have many, if not all, of the following characteristics:
- A genuine belief in the core values that animate this organization, including a passionate belief in the power of the arts to make a positive difference in people’s lives.
- A commitment and strong connection to Latino arts, culture, and heritage which are Milagro’s foundation.
- A respect for the diversity of backgrounds and voices.
- A commitment to nurturing emerging artists and creating new art.
- A warm and engaging personality so that the greatest range of people will feel very welcome at this theater.