Pictured: Reading of Shoe by Marisela Treviño Orta, part of INGENIO Play Fest 2017.
INGENIO Milagro serves as an intrinsic step in the development of new full-length theatrical works by Latina/o-identified playwrights through concert-style readings, guiding them and their works from concept to production. Directors, dramaturgs, and actors bring the plays to life for an audience of theatre professionals and members of the public. The readings are followed by a moderated feedback conversation. Playwrights choose their level of involvement from rehearsal to presentation to feedback conversation, remotely and/or in person.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
INGENIO Milagro is accepting submissions for the 2018 Play Fest, to take place September 21-23, 2018. Four plays will be selected for a concert-style reading and presented over three days after a brief rehearsal period. Please note: there are no travel stipends at this time.
- Open to all Latina/o-identified playwrights
- Original full-length plays, at least 70 minutes and no more than two hours in length
- Plays can be in English, Spanish, or bilingual
- Plays with over eight actors will require doubling; playwrights are asked to note where this would be possible/preferred
- Chamber musicals will be considered
- Published plays and those that have received a full professional production are not eligible
- Scripts must be in PDF format and follow the Dramatist Guild’s of America Traditional or Modern play format. Other than the cover page, the script shall have no identifying information about the playwright.
- Include playwright’s biography (90 words), play synopsis (150 words), and play’s development history, if applicable.
- Submit via email to email@example.com by May 15, 2018. Selected playwrights will be notified by June 10, 2018.
Ingenio /ēn ‘he nē oh/: Spanish for wit, ingenuity; the inventive and creative capacity to create; a sugar cane refinery.